Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on it and purchase the product, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please know that I only link to items I truly believe in. Kindly read my full disclosure policy for more information.
Inside: Ensure your baby’s room is ready with our all-inclusive nursery essentials checklist. Our comprehensive guide has everything you need to create a safe and comfortable space for your baby. Don’t miss out, and download our free checklist now!
Are you expecting a little one? Congratulations! As you prepare for your bundle of joy, one of the most important things you’ll need to do is create a comfortable and safe nursery. With so many options and products available, it can be overwhelming to know where to start.
That’s why we’ve created a free checklist of baby must-haves for the nursery to help you get started.
Creating a comfortable sleep environment for your baby is critical to their health and well-being. From a crib or bassinet to a firm mattress and fitted sheets, our baby nursery checklist covers all the essentials for a restful night’s sleep. We also include tips to make the baby’s room cozy and calming so your little bundle of joy can drift off to dreamland in no time.
In addition to sleep essentials, our checklist covers all necessary items for your baby’s nursery, from diapering and feeding supplies to furniture and storage solutions.
Our checklist also includes ideas for creating a playful environment and wardrobe essentials for your little one, ensuring you have everything you need to finalize your nursery and prepare for your new arrival.
- Our free checklist covers all the must-haves for your baby’s nursery, including sleep essentials, diapering and feeding necessities, furniture and storage solutions, and wardrobe essentials.
- We also include tips for creating a cozy and playful environment in your nursery.
- Our checklist has everything you need to finalize your nursery and prepare for your new arrival.
- Key Takeaways
- Free Checklist of Nursery Essentials for Your Baby’s Room
- Creating a Comfortable Sleep Environment
- Diapering Essentials
- Feeding Necessities
- Nursery Furniture and Storage Solutions
- Creating a Playful Environment
- Baby’s Wardrobe Essentials
- Additional Nursery Nice-to-Haves
- Finalizing Your Nursery Checklist
- Frequently Asked Questions
Free Checklist of Nursery Essentials for Your Baby’s Room
Download our free checklist today to ensure you are well-prepared for this exciting new chapter in your parenting journey. Just click on the image. No need to sign up!
Creating a Comfortable Sleep Environment
As a new parent, one of your top priorities is creating a comfortable sleep environment for your baby. Here are some tips to help you choose the right crib, mattress, and bedding to ensure your baby gets a good night’s sleep.
Choosing the Right Crib
When selecting a crib, make sure it meets the latest safety standards. Look for a sturdy crib that doesn’t wobble or shake. If you plan to use the crib for a long time, consider a convertible crib that can be converted into a toddler bed or even a full-size bed as your child grows.
Selecting a Safe and Comfortable Mattress
The mattress is one of the foremost factors in creating a comfortable sleep environment. Choose a firm and flat mattress that fits snugly in the crib. A soft mattress can increase the risk of suffocation or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Consider getting a waterproof mattress cover to protect the bed from accidental diaper leaks. A mattress pad can also provide extra comfort for your baby.
Understanding the Importance of Bedding
When it comes to bedding, less is more. Use a fitted sheet and avoid loose blankets, pillows, or toys that increase the risk of suffocation. Ensure the fitted crib sheet fits snugly around the mattress without any wrinkles or gaps.
Choose bedding made from breathable fabrics like organic cotton in white or neutral hues to keep your baby safe and happy. Avoid bedding with decorative ribbons or strings that can pose a strangulation hazard.
Blackout Curtains as An Extra Perk
Although unneeded, blackout curtains can be a beneficial addition to a nursery. They can help maintain a consistent and comfortable temperature and sound in the nursery by filtering out light, heat, draft, and noise, resulting in better restful sleep for your little one.
This insulated blackout curtain is what I use for my kids’ rooms.
White Noise Machine—Another Added Bonus
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, sounds that remind babies of being inside the womb, such as the humming sound of a fan or the recording of a heartbeat, can be soothing.
My children never had a white noise machine, so I don’t consider it essential but rather a bonus. When they were young, I used YouTube to play relaxing sounds.
By following these tips, you can create a safe and comfortable sleep environment for your baby. Don’t forget to check the safety standards and guidelines before purchasing any nursery items to ensure your baby’s safety.
Ensuring you have all the necessary supplies is critical for a stress-free diapering experience. We have two sub-sections below that will provide extensive instructions on how to set up your changing station and choose the most suitable diapers for your little one.
Setting Up a Changing Station
Setting up a dedicated changing station can help make diaper changes quicker and more efficient. Here are some fundamental items to consider:
- Changing table or dresser with a changing pad: A dedicated changing surface can help keep your baby safe and secure during diaper changes.
- Diaper pail: A diaper pail can help contain odors and make disposing of dirty diapers easier.
- Diaper caddy: A diaper caddy can help keep all your baby’s diapers and diapering essentials organized and within reach.
- Wipes: Keep a stash of wipes nearby for quick cleanups.
- Extra clothes: Accidents happen, so keep a few additional outfits readily available.
Choosing the Right Diapers
Choosing the right diapers can help keep your baby comfortable and prevent leaks and blowouts. Here are some things to consider:
- Size: Choose the correct diaper for your baby’s weight and age.
- Material: Look for diapers made from breathable materials to help prevent diaper rash.
- Absorbency: Choose a diaper with enough absorbency to handle your baby’s output.
- Brand: Every baby is different, so you may need to try a few brands before finding the right one.
Double-check that your changing station is well-stocked with all the necessary diapering supplies. By taking these steps, you can make diaper changes a snap and ensure your baby stays clean, dry, and comfortable.
When it comes to feeding your baby, there are a few must-haves that you’ll want to make sure you have on hand. Whether you plan to bottle-feed or breastfeed, certain items will make the process easier and more comfortable for you and your little one.
Here are the essentials:
Bottle Feeding Basics
Preparing to bottle-feed your baby requires some essential items to ensure you have everything at your fingertips. Here are the must-have items:
- Baby Bottles: Keep a few baby bottles on hand and always have clean ones ready. Look for bottles with a slow-flow nipple, which are excellent for newborns.
- Formula: If you plan to use baby formula, be prepared to have a generous supply. You’ll also want to invest in a formula dispenser to make it easy to measure the right amount of formula when you’re on the go.
- Burp Cloths: Babies tend to spit up a lot, so you’ll need plenty of burp cloths. Look for ones that are absorbent and easy to clean.
✔️ Planning to breastfeed? I strongly recommend investing in this step-by-step program that covers everything you need to know about breastfeeding in 13 simple videos. Stacey, a certified lactation educator, will show you the most productive positions for producing more milk. Arm yourself with enough knowledge to feel comfortable breastfeeding. Sign up right away!
If you plan to breastfeed, these items will simplify the process:
- Nursing Pillow: A nursing pillow will help support your baby and make breastfeeding more comfortable for both of you.
- Nursing Cover: If you plan to breastfeed in public, a nursing cover will help you feel more comfortable and discreet.
- Breast Pump: A breast pump will allow you to express milk you can store. Look for a pump that is easy to use and clean.
Having these feeding necessities on hand will make feeding your baby a breeze.
Nursery Furniture and Storage Solutions
When preparing for your baby’s arrival, find suitable furniture and storage solutions to simplify your life.
Here are some tips on how to pick the perfect dresser and organizer with shelves and bins.
Picking the Perfect Dresser
A dresser is an essential piece of furniture in any nursery. When choosing a dresser, consider the following:
- Size: Make sure the dresser is the right size for your nursery. It should fit comfortably in the room without taking up too much space.
- Storage: Look for a dresser with plenty of drawers to store all your baby’s clothes and accessories. Consider getting a dresser with a changing table on top to save space.
- Safety: Make sure the dresser is sturdy and won’t tip over. Look for dressers with anti-tip hardware to prevent accidents.
Organizing with Shelves and Bins
Shelves and bins are a great way to keep your nursery organized. Here are some tips on how to use them effectively:
- Shelves: Install shelves on the walls to save floor space. Use them to display books, toys, and other decorative items.
- Baskets: Use baskets to store diapers, wipes, and other baby essentials. Label the baskets so you can easily find what you need.
- Bins: Use clear plastic bins to store clothes and accessories. This will make it easy to see what’s inside without digging through piles of clothes.
Choose the right furniture and storage solutions to create a functional and organized nursery.
Consider investing in a nursery chair or glider for those late-night feedings and snuggles. With a little planning and organization, you can create a space you and your baby will love.
Creating a Playful Environment
A playful environment that encourages exploration and learning is paramount when designing your baby’s nursery.
Here are some tips for choosing age-appropriate toys and creating a safe play area.
Choosing Age-Appropriate Toys
When selecting toys for your baby’s nursery, consider their age and developmental stage. Toys that are too advanced can be frustrating for your baby, while toys that are too simple may not hold their attention for long.
Toys that are soft and easy to grasp, such as stuffed animals or rattles, are ideal for babies. Introduce toys that foster hand-eye coordination and exploration, such as play mats or activity gyms, to your infant as they grow.
Creating a Safe Play Area
Building a safe play area for your baby to explore is imperative. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Keep your baby safe and secure using a baby swing or bouncer. These devices provide a comfortable and contained space for your baby to rest and play while also allowing you to keep an eye on them.
- Choose a comfortable, easy-to-clean rug or play mat to cushion falls and provide a soft surface for tummy time.
- Hang mildly stimulating baby mobiles with high-contrast colors over your baby’s crib. You can then switch to colorful mobiles when they turn three months old.
- Avoid placing stuffed animals or soft toys in the crib, as they can be a suffocation risk.
- Consider using a portable pack ‘n play to create a safe play area when you’re on the go.
Follow these tips to create a playful and safe environment for your baby to learn and grow in their nursery.
Baby’s Wardrobe Essentials
As a new parent, one of the most exciting things to do is to shop for your baby’s wardrobe. However, it can also be overwhelming, especially if you’re a first-time parent.
In this section, we’ll cover the baby wardrobe essentials you need to have on your checklist.
Choosing Baby’s First Outfits
When choosing your baby’s first outfits, you must verify that they are safe, comfortable, practical—easy to put on and take off—and appropriate for the weather. Here are some baby wardrobe essentials that you should consider:
- Onesies and sleepers: These are a must-have for any baby’s wardrobe. They are comfortable, easy to put on and take off, and come in different styles and designs.
- Shirts: You’ll want to have a few shirts readily available for your baby, especially if you’re going out.
- Pants: Pants are essential for keeping your baby warm and comfortable. Look for pants that are soft, stretchy, and machine-washable.
- Sweaters and jackets: Depending on the weather, you may need a few sweaters and jackets for your baby. Look for cozy ones.
- Socks: Socks are an excellent way to safeguard your baby’s delicate little feet while they’re on the move. Even infants who rarely move have some degree of contact with a hard surface, and socks give an extra layer of protection between their feet and any abrasive objects that could harm them.
- Hats and beanies: They help infants retain heat and regulate body temperature.
Organizing Baby’s Clothes
Once you’ve gathered all of your baby’s clothing necessities, it’s time to organize them. Here are some pointers for keeping your baby’s clothes organized:
- Use storage organizers. You’ll want a designated place to store your baby’s clothes. Use a dresser or closet with shelves and hanging space to keep everything organized.
- Sort by size. As your baby grows, you’ll need to switch out their clothes for larger sizes. Sort their clothes by size to find what you need efficiently.
- Label everything. Labeling your baby’s clothes can help you stay organized. Use labels or tags to mark the size and type of clothing.
- Don’t overcomplicate things. Keep your baby’s wardrobe simple and easy to manage.
A well-organized and comfortable wardrobe for your little one is vital. Always choose the appropriate garments and correctly organize them to guarantee your child is consistently comfortable and stylish.
Additional Nursery Nice-to-Haves
When setting up your baby’s nursery, some additional items can make your life easier and your baby more comfortable. Here are some things to consider:
Selecting a Baby Monitor
A baby monitor is worth having in your nursery. It allows you to keep an eye or ear on your baby while they sleep or play, giving you peace of mind and the ability to respond quickly if your baby needs you.
When selecting a baby monitor, consider the range, battery life, and features such as video and sound quality. Some monitors also come with features like temperature sensors and two-way communication.
Choosing the Right Humidifier
A humidifier can help keep your baby’s room comfortable by adding moisture to the air. This can be especially helpful during dry winters or if your baby has a cold or congestion.
When choosing a humidifier, consider the size of the room, the type of humidifier (warm or cool mist), and any additional features, such as a built-in night light or automatic shut-off.
Pro Tip: This whimsical cool mist humidifier and night light can help your baby breathe better throughout the night. It’s thoughtfully created and extensively tested, making it ideal for your baby’s nursery! It’s also sufficiently quiet and can humidify a room for up to 24 hours.
The Importance of a Night Light
A nightlight can be a helpful addition to your baby’s nursery, providing a soft glow that can help soothe your baby and make nighttime feedings or diaper changes easier.
When choosing a night light, consider one that emits red light wavelengths and has additional features, such as a timer or dimmer switch.
Additionally, ensure that the night light is safe and does not pose any hazards to your baby.
Finalizing Your Nursery Checklist
Now that you have gone through the nursery must-haves and essentials for your newborn, it’s time to finalize your nursery checklist. Before you start shopping, consider the following tips to ensure that you have everything you need for your baby’s nursery:
First, verify that you have a crib or bassinet that meets safety standards. The mattress should be firm and fit snugly in the crib or bassinet. Furthermore, a few fitted sheets that are easy to wash and change are necessary.
Next, invest in a comfortable chair or glider you can sit on while feeding or soothing your baby. A soft, easy-to-clean rug is also a great addition to the nursery. It provides a comfortable space for you and your baby to play together.
Don’t forget the smaller items that can make a big difference in your daily routine. A baby monitor can give you peace of mind while your baby sleeps, and a changing table or dresser with a changing pad can make diaper changes more manageable and organized.
Finally, consider registering for some of these items to make it easier for friends and family to help you prepare for your baby’s arrival. A registry can also help you monitor what you still need to purchase.
Following this checklist and considering your needs and preferences can create a safe and comfortable nursery for your new arrival.
Again, congratulations! You got this, Mama!
Talk to you soon,
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the must-have items for a newborn nursery?
When preparing for your baby’s arrival, it’s necessary to have the essentials ready. The must-have items for a newborn nursery include a crib or bassinet, a firm flat mattress, fitted crib sheets, a rocking chair or glider, a baby monitor, and a changing table or dresser with a changing pad.
What are the top 10 things a baby needs?
The top 10 things a baby needs include a safe place to sleep, such as a crib or bassinet, a car seat, a stroller, diapers, wipes, baby clothes, a baby carrier, a breast pump, bottles, and formula (if not breastfeeding), and a baby bathtub.
What are the basic needs of a newborn baby?
The basic needs of a newborn baby include a safe place to sleep, proper nutrition (breast milk or formula), clean diapers, clothing, and a safe environment.
What are the essential items for a nursery?
The essential items for a nursery include a crib or bassinet, a firm flat mattress, fitted crib sheets, a rocking chair or glider, a baby monitor, a changing table or dresser with a changing pad, a baby bathtub, and age-appropriate toys.
What should I prepare for my baby’s nursery?
When preparing for your baby’s nursery, you should have the essentials ready, including a crib or bassinet, a firm flat mattress, fitted crib sheets, a rocking chair or glider, a baby monitor, a diaper changing table or dresser with a changing pad, a baby bathtub, and age-appropriate toys. You may also consider adding a humidifier, a baby swing or bouncer, and a soft, easy-to-clean rug.
What are the baby essentials that I need to buy?
The baby items you need to buy include a safe place to sleep, such as a crib or bassinet, a firm flat mattress, fitted crib sheets, a car seat, a stroller, a baby carrier, a baby monitor, a breast pump (if breastfeeding), bottles and formula (if not breastfeeding), diapers, wipes, baby clothes, a diaper changing table or dresser with a changing pad, and a baby bathtub. Check out my practical baby registry essentials checklist.